- 1/4 cup olive oil or salad oil.
- 1 big onion, chopped.
- 2 cloves garlic, pulverized or pressed.
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped.
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley.
- 1 large can (15 oz.) tomato sauce.
- 1 large can (28 oz.) tomatoes.
- 1 cup dry red or white wine.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1 teaspoon dry basil leaves.
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano leaves.
- 12 small hard-shell clams in shell, suitable for steaming, scrubbed.
- 1 pound large shrimp (under 30 per lb.) shelled and deveined.
- 2 cooked large Dungeness crabs (about 2 lbs. each), cleaned and cracked.
- In a 6 to 8 quart pan, combine oil, onion, garlic, bell pepper and parsley.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until onion is soft (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomatoes (break up with a spoon) and their liquid, wine, bay leaf, basil and oregano.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add clams, shrimp and crabs.
- Cover and simmer until clams pop open and shrimp are opaque when cut (about 20 more minutes).
- Ladle broth and shellfish into 6 large soup bowls.
- Makes 6 servings.
San Francisco Recipes
Click on the recipe you want to see: