- 4 3/4 cups bread flour.
- 3 tablespoons white sugar.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- 1 package active dry yeast.
- 1 cup warm milk.
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened.
- 1 1/2 cups sourdough starter.
- 1 extra large egg.
- 1 tablespoon water.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, and dry yeast.
- Add milk and softened butter or margarine.
- Stir in starter.
- Mix in up to 3 3/4 cups flour gradually; you may need more depending on your climate.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turn once to oil surface, and cover.
- Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
- Punch down, and let rest 15 minutes.
- Shape into loaves.
- Place on a greased baking pan.
- Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.
- Brush egg wash over tops of loaves, and sprinkle with chopped onion.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or till done.
San Francisco Recipes
Click on the recipe you want to see: